Allot - Universities as Internet Providers
Intelligent Broadband Service Optimization Solutions for University Providers.
Large universities functioning as service providers and selling Internet services to dispersed campuses are challenged with providing subscriber monitoring for integration with billing and accounting systems. This is in addition to the demand to build an intelligent, congestion-free network with bandwidth management that delivers the quality of service (QoS) expected by each user - faculty, students and administration personnel alike without resorting to the costly and futile solution of simply increasing bandwidth. This is often a tall order, as bandwidth-hungry students monopolize the network with P2P applications which negatively impact on the smooth running of mission-critical applications and can also expose the university to legal action for possible copyright abuse.
Allot solutions are implemented in more than 500 universities worldwide to meet these challenges, providing the crucial visibility of network usage and user behavior, and the bandwidth management to deliver QoS to all users. Enabling the powerful control of bandwidth-consuming applications such as P2P transfers, voice and video, they eliminate congestion, reduce bandwidth costs, and integrate subscriber management with subscriber monitoring data through a centralized management system.
Allot's comprehensive portfolio of products is based on cutting-edge Layer-7 Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) technology, and includes a self-provisioning system designed for subscribers to define their own policies. Looking deep into each and every packet and into packet flows traversing the network, they identify and prioritize applications according to defined policies and ensure network protection against attacks such as denial of service, SYN and spam, offering university providers the unique combination of the following:
- Scalable Performance up to 25 Gbps to deploy the appropriate capacity and throughput required for the network.
- Network Visibility to gain the visibility to identify applications and which users are using them.
- Application Control to control and prioritize applications such as P2P in line with subscriber behavior and trends, thereby optimizing network resources and investments.
- Subscriber Management to customize services to meet specific customer needs and thereby generate more revenues through the provision of tailored, differentiated services.
- Network Protection to protect the network from connection-based attacks such as DoS, DDoS and spam through policy-based, real-time traffic behavior monitoring.
- Centralized Management to manage the entire network using a single GUI application from a central site.